Neurological Problems in Pregnancy

Dealing with Neurological Problems in Pregnancy

Dealing with Neurological Problems in Pregnancy

Pregnancy presents a series of wonderful moments and enchanting memories which are to be cherished for a lifetime. It is one of the most exciting phases in any woman’s life. It fills the heart with happiness and brings forth joyous time. But, like any other phase in life, it also has its ups and downs. In spite of all the happy times and even upon ensuring utmost care for the mother and her unborn child, a lot of complications can arise at any moment.

Most of the minor conditions include sudden body aches, stomach cramps and aches, uncontrollable cravings and emotional mood swings, among others. Thankfully, these symptoms can be easily combated with enough rest and proper care. But, some of the more harmful and severe complications like infections and neurological issues do need immediate medical attention and can only be treated by professional medical care and prescribed medicines and drugs.

How to tackle Neurological Conditions

During pregnancy, neurological conditions that may be seen may be of two types, either pre-existing conditions like a neurological disorder the mother may have already been bearing, or the onset of new disorders brought about by external or internal factors related to the pregnancy.  In either case, the proper treatment is taking medicine for neurological disorders during pregnancy. These conditions can often arise during pregnancy, but severe cases are usually very rare and such disorders can easily be treated with such drugs.

What are the various types of disorders?

Out of the several neurological diseases seen during pregnancy, some are directly associated with the condition and are exclusive to pregnant women, like pre-eclampsia and neuropathies associated with the delivery. Other disorders not directly linked with pregnancy may include cerebral venous thrombosis, ischemic strokes and intracerebral haemorrhages, which account for the more severe disease. Studies have shown, in fact, that the most common type of neurological disorder to affect pregnant women is epilepsy, which is characterised by seizures.

Treatment of these Neurological disorders
Patients showing symptoms of epilepsy during pregnancy are administered anti-epileptic drugs, which include medicines like phenobarbital, sodium valproate and phenytoin. Although it is impossible to predict the amount of control these medicines would have on the onset of seizures in pregnant women, studies have shown that almost 80% of pregnant women diagnosed with neurological disorders who took these drugs had no seizures during the entire period of pregnancy, and the rest 20% experienced only minor seizures, that too after childbirth. Those seizures were also successfully treated with further usage of these drugs.

Is the pregnancy affected?

Of course, the most important question which occurs in the mind of pregnant women when they are diagnosed with such neurological disorders is that whether or not the child will be healthy after giving birth. Thankfully, studies have shown that complications during childbirth or health defects in the foetus are very uncommon, occurring in only about 25% of total cases. With the easy availability and widespread usage of neurological disorders in pregnancy medicines, these numbers have gone down even further.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *