Gastric Bypass is the most common type of surgery performed when it comes to bariatric surgeries. In this case, a small stomach pouch is created and then attached to the middle of the small intestine by bypassing a part of the intestine. Just like other metabolic surgeries, it changes the amount of food that a body can digest and also changes the route through which the signals travel from the digestive system to the brain.
In gastric bypass surgeries in India, a small stomach pouch is formed and then the rest of the stomach is removed. Also the small intestine is re routed to connect to the pouch. Then the old stomach is connected to the small intestine lower down by allowing the bile and pancreatic fluids to help the food to digest fully. Here, the food then passes through the small sized pouch directly to the small intestine and the acids and enzymes from the old stomach and upper small intestine can still help in digestion. It can work in different ways.
- Smaller pouch leads to smaller meals; so only fewer calories are absorbed.
- Bypassed small intestine portion absorbs fewer calories and nutrients.
- Hormonal signals between the stomach and the brain are changed as the signal route changes.
- Typical outcomes include weight loss, improvement in metabolic syndrome, and overall health and wellbeing.
Now the major health benefits that happen after this surgery are:
The patient can see around 60 percent of weight loss. There is a significant improvement when it comes to type 2 diabetes and it also helps in keeping the blood pressure level normal. Not only that, it controls the high cholesterol and sleep apnoea. After the surgery is done, an individual can have increased physical activities and there is a growth of self confidence due to the weight loss. The minimally invasive procedure leads to shorter recovery time.
Here are some major advantages of going through a gastric bypass surgery.
- It can cause a long term weight loss. Like there is an average of 62 percent of weight loss in a patient after the surgery is done. It also brings some significant improvement when it comes to obesity related health problems.
- It limits the amount of food that has to be eaten by an individual. This brings some significant changes on the digestive organs (positive changes) and the reduced hunger helps in increased metabolism.
- Once this surgery is done, there is no need of any further adjustments or surgeries. Even a gastric band is not required.
But once, the surgery is done there are few things that has to be kept in mind. It requires a lifelong dedication to specific diet and one also needs to follow some regular exercise routines. This is a bit of complicated procedure than putting up a gastric band or going for sleeve gastrectomy. Also post surgery there can be vitamin deficiencies which need to be filled up with vitamin supplements. There can also be some ulcer problems post surgery.